Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Goosey Goosey Gander!

Honk! Honk! We spent our time learning about Canada geese since we usually see them at the nature center. However, there are different kinds of geese. Some of them look like the stuffed tundra swan. Click here for an online puzzle of a white goose!

It is about that time of year when we will see geese and other birds heading south for the winter (migrating). It is a fascinating occurrence that humans have been studying for many, many years. Geese can fly on cloudy nights (without the sun or stars for guidance) partly because they have tiny magnets (called magnetite) in their heads. That’s right; birds might have a built-in magnetic compass! 


On the Wing: American Birds in Migration by Carol Lerner is loaded with facts, pictures and maps about bird migration. 

Brush up on your bird calls and click here for a description of the Identiflyer- the fun gadget we had that made bird sounds at the touch of a button. The wonder bugs loved this!

While checking the sky and fields for geese, sing the Goosey Song by Miss Tara Von Dollen:
(Tune: I’m a Little Teapot)
I’m a great big goosey, look at me.
Here is my dark bill. Here are my wings.
When I get all angered up, I flap and hiss,
Scaring off the bad guys just like this. (flap and hiss again)

Honk honk,
Miss Tara


0 comments: