Thursday, December 15, 2011

Winter Survival with a Coffee Can!

Dear Readers,

My name is Rachel, and I am an intern at the Aldo Leopold Nature Center. When I was growing up, my aunt used to ask me, “What did you learn today that you didn't know yesterday but want to remember for a long, long time?” That can be a difficult question to answer but not the day I learned about Winter Survival at ALNC.


I've heard about how to survive outdoors in winter if I was to get lost but have never put any of that knowledge into practice. During Winter Survival, I witnessed 7th and 8th graders venture outside "to survive" in ALNC's basswood grove armed only with an empty coffee can, matches, garbage bag, bandana, water,and hot chocolate. In one hour,and under the guidance of their naturalists, they found enough tree branches and leaves to build a lean-to that could hold 6 teenagers! Outside the lean-to, a small fire was heating up hot chocolate in an empty coffee can. Warm and cozy...sweet.


I live in Wisconsin and love winter. There is nothing better than cross-country skiing far away from the city, surrounded only by evergreens and snow as far as the eye can see. But from now on, I will take my own winter survival kit. Armed with this new knowledge, I am ready to take on winter-let it snow (please)!


Do you have a survival story to share? Email devcomm@naturenet.com to share it with us.

Staying warm,
Rachel


P.S. Tap into your inner "survivalist" with our Winter Survival Mini-Camp!




Here's more info:

Winter Survival Mini-Camp
Friday, December 30, 2011
9:00am - 4:00pm
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Any of us could find ourselves in a situation where we need to use winter survival skills. In this adventurous program, we’ll learn what nature provides to help us survive, learn how to dress appropriately, pack a survival kit and work cooperatively. After learning this, we’ll head to the woods to test our skills in building a fire without matches, creating a makeshift shelter, and cooking a snack over a survival fire.

Please bring a sack lunch; we’ll provide snacks, water and lemonade.

ALNC Members: $45/participant; Non-Members: $50/participant
Package Price for the Full Week (Tuesday, December 27 - Friday, December 30):
ALNC Members: $175/person; Non-Members: $195/person.



Click here or call 608-221-0404 x 1 to register.

0 comments: