Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wonderbugs: Lizard Wizard


Dear Wonderbugs,

This is a bittersweet week for me since it is the last week of spring classes. I said goodbye to some friends who will “graduating” from Wonder Bugs. Other friends are signed up for the 4-7 year old summer camps so I will not be seeing them either this summer. Finally, once my baby comes (August-ish!) I will be taking some time off from Wonder Bugs heading into the fall session.  I have enjoyed getting to know each and every one of you.  Thank you for coming, singing, and playing. It has been an absolute delight!

There was no disguising the enjoyment this week! Aside from the goodbyes, we had a blast!  We learned all about chameleons AKA lizard wizards.  I wonder what makes chameleons so special.  For one thing, they can change the color of their skin!  Their mood, the temperature, and the amount of light can initiate the change from green skin to red, blue, black or a mix of colors.   

To help them hide in the trees and leaves, they have y-shaped feet; three toes are fused and two toes are fused.  Chameleons can also see in more than one direction at once! That’s right, their eyes can move independently of each other in different directions. This helps them find their favorite food- insects.  Chameleons are slow-moving, though, so to catch the insects they use their super-long, sticky tongues to slurp them up.  

Our tongues are not nearly as long, but we practiced using them at snack time anyway to “catch” our food.  Outside we had a fun time taking turns playing hide-n-seek with our transparent chameleon friends. I wonder what the chameleon would look like on my pillow. What about in my sandbox? Has your chameleon friend been to any new places since you took him/her home? 

For more fun, check out these lizard wizard stories!  The Mixed-Up Chameleon by Eric Carle; AColor of His Own by Leo Lionni.
Don’t change too much until I see you next and have fun this summer with our other Wonderbugs teachers! If you have any pictures or suggestions to share, please contact me at tara.vondollen@gmail.com. I hope to see you around the nature center this summer!

All my best,
Miss Tara

0 comments: