Friday, January 27, 2012

Me & My Shadow Wonder Bugs!

Dear Wonder Bugs,

Groundhog’s are chuck full of surprises! I bet you didn’t know that they sleep all winter long and don’t eat or even breathe very much. It’s true! Their breathing slows way down and so does their heart rate.  


Before they go to bed in the fall, they have to make sure that they ate so much that they are super fat! In fact, did you know that groundhogs weigh twice as much in the fall compared with when they wake up in the spring? Can you imagine?!

We had a blast tunneling like groundhogs, popping out of our underground homes and trying to make shadows of our own.  We also made our own puppets to take home with us complete with a yarn tail (thanks to Miss Sue!)! That way when we see the stringy tail we know it is a groundhog and not a beaver.
 

This is the book we read in class: Go To Sleep, Groundhog! By Judy Cox  Read it again at home!

Sing along with the song we sang in class and then get ready for Groundhog Day. I realized that I was “missing” the second verse after Tuesday’s class; the version below is the version I modified to account for a cloudy Groundhog Day.
 


I’m a Little Groundhog (Tune: I’m a Little Teapot)
adapted from the song found at http://www.everythingpreschool.com/themes/groundhogsday/songs.htm
 

I’m a little groundhog, short and stout.
On Groundhog Day I pop my head out.
If I see my shadow I don’t come out.
I stay in my hole and then I pout.

I’m a little groundhog, short and stout. 

On Groundhog Day I pop my head out. 
If I don’t see shadow, out I’ll stay. 
A smile on my face cause spring is on its way!

I hope to see you and your shadow again in a couple weeks!
 

Bye, Miss Tara

Also, remember to join us for these upcoming sessions:

WINTER WONDER BUG SESSIONS:
Prices for Wonder Bugs for all individual sessions:
ALNC Members: $6/child; Non-members: $7/child

KEEP ON TRACKING…
Tuesday, February 14 & Wednesday, February 15, 2012
9:30-10:45am
Registration Deadline: Friday, February 10, 2012
While the snow is stacking! Discover what it’s like to walk in someone else’s shoe (prints). Practice counting the toes- they always knows- and you’ll be able to guess the animal who walked there since.

MICE ON ICE
Tuesday, February 28 & Wednesday, February 29, 2012
9:30-10:45am
Registration Deadline: Friday, February 25, 2012

For birds of prey, this is a delicacy in the winter! Explore the predatory world of raptors in winter. Songs and games are sure to keep you roasty toasty.

0 comments: